This recipe turns a classic meatball dish into sumptuous hors d'oevures with a mexican flair that will impress your family and guests.
2 TBL olive oil 2 tsp kosher salt
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped 1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp ground cumin
1 Jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional) 1//2 tsp chili powder
1 lb. ground beef 2 TB chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs 1 16oz jar Top Shelf Salsa
1 large egg
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, preferably ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; let cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, egg, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and onion mixture. Shape into 1" meatballs. Makes approximately 24 meatballs.
4. Wipe out skillet, add the remaining oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Brown the meatballs on all sides, about 7 minutes total. If not using an ovenproof skillet, transfer the meatballs to a baking dish.
5. Pour the salsa over the top. Bake until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
When I have guest over, I always double the recipe and transfer the meatballs to a crockpot after they come out of the oven.